This is an outstanding Port from a minor vintage.
James Suckling’s Hot Wines
Quinta de Vargellas
The 1998 growing season started extremely wet. A wet winter was followed by a cold spring. With May came a burst of warmth, records showing a 40cm shoot growth over the weekend of 8-11 May.
Although the start to the season was slow the conditions led to a good recovery of the canopies resulting in healthy and vigorous canopies which continued for longer than normal. From flowering to the beginning of harvest there was no rain.
The month of July was consistently hot with the monthly average temperature being amongst the highest on record. The first two weeks of August were extremely hot with daily temperatures rising well above 40ºC.
The second half of August and early September returned to normal temperatures for the region with warm/hot days and moderate nights.
The weather during the harvest was very testing, with most days seeing rainfall. Although it rained throughout the harvest, the grapes resisted well and almost no bunch rot was found.
- Anno di imbottigliamento
- Produttore, nome del vino
- Taylor's Quinta de Vargellas
- Vintage Port
- Numero di bottiglie
- Dimensione bottiglia
- Bottiglie (0,75 L)
- Livello di riempimento
- Tipo di bottiglia bordolese, livello di riempimento alla base del collo
- Confezione originale
- In cassa di legno originale
- Condizioni di capsula/tappo
- Capsula di metallo completamente intatta
- Condizioni dell’etichetta
- Etichetta completamente intatta, leggibile
- Punteggio della critica
- 90/100 points, James Suckling