Splendid work of PAUL GERVAIS
Oil on cardboard, unsigned but with its family certificate of authenticity.
(work pasted on a framing cardboard)
Referenced in the monographic approach and summary catalogue of Mr. Laborde presented as thesis at the University of Toulouse Le Mirail, in October 1990, referenced 1-723 (photos 13 and 14)
Jean Louis Paul GERVAIS also known as ‘PAUL GERVAIS’ was a French painter, born in Toulouse, on 7th September 1859 and died in the same city in 1936 or on 11th March 1944.
He studied at the School of Fine Arts in Toulouse and then in Paris where he was a student of Jean Léon Gerôme and Gabriel Ferrier.
Member of the Société des Artistes Français, he won many awards.
He was a history painter and a painter of allegorical subjects and genre scenes, which at the time were
very popular, he received many orders for public and private mural compositions:
- ‘Salle des illustres’ in the Capitole of Toulouse;
- ‘Apollon et les arts’ (1897);
- Dura lex sed lex (1905)
- La fontaine de Jouvence (1908)
- ‘La salle des mariages’ in the Capitole;
- ‘Musée des Augustins’ in Toulouse has 4 paintings of the painter;
including ‘la Folie de Titania’.
Apart from the Capitol, he decorated:
- Hotel Pams in Perpignan ‘l'Arrivée triomphale de Vénus’;
- ‘The Ministère des colonies’ in Paris;
- Casino de Monaco
- ‘Casino of Nice’;
- The city hall of Saint-Ouen (works protected as historical monuments
- ‘Musée de peinture Petiet’ in Limoux;
- ‘Salon impérial hotel du Palais’ in Biarritz;
- Paris in ‘Petit Palais Musée des Beaux Arts’;
- The hearing hall of the Courthouse of Besançon
A family certificate of authenticity will be included with the shipment,
Note: registered shipment with insurance and signature
- Paul Gervais (1859-1944)
- Titolo dell'opera
- Vases dans les jardins de la Lézardière à Agay
- circa 1910
- Olio su cartoncino
- Non firmato
- In buone condizioni
- Vendita con cornice
- 1 kg
- Dimensioni dell’immagine
- 230×290 mm
- Dimensioni totali
- 310×370×370 mm